Upcycling is Great for the Planet and for People
The Wellington Waste crew are all big fans of upcycling. Any time you can find a new use for an unwanted item it’s one less thing that would either go into landfill or be recycled.
People come up with endlessly creative ways to repurpose what would otherwise be waste. Some even make a side income out of selling what they make.
There’s also another benefit that sometimes gets overlooked: Any craft based activity is good for your mental wellbeing. It takes your mind off everyday stresses and problems – and we could all do with a bit of that at the moment.
Upcycling isn’t new. You might even call it a recycled idea. Ask your parents or grandparents and they’ll probably remember how people used to turn old wine bottles into lamps.
Or how about this advert from the 1970s for a glass cutter that could magically transform old glass bottles into tableware.
A Celebration of Creativity
Apart from being great for the environment by prolonging the useful life of different objects, we love how upcycling reveals our inner creativity.
So we salute you:
- The person who made an old tea service into a bird feeding station.
- The converters of old plastic drinks bottles into planters.
- Whoever decided that an old wicker waste paper basket would make a great lampshade.
- Folks who turn old T shirts into bags and face masks.
- People who can transform old tins into cutlery or tealight holders.
- And, especially, the superstar who found a way to transform a washing machine drum into a fire pit. Got an old washing machine lying around? Find out how to make your own firepit perfect for BBQing!
Upcycling is the art of seeing what something could be rather than what it currently is. So why not give it a go rather than just throwing away things you think you no longer have a use for.
Of course, if you have a large volume of waste you simply have to get rid of, Wellington Waste is always here to help. Get a skip quote now.